Yesterday was a big day for Cory. When I arrived in the morning, I was told that Cory would likely be going to the ward that day. Wow! That’s a huge step! The doctors came and did their rounds. I have been so used to hearing “critical but stable” that it was a pleasant surprise when they didn’t really have too much to say about him.
Cory has been doing so much better since his breathing tube was removed. He was weaned off of his sedation yesterday, and he was moving his limbs around like he was trying to wake himself up. Since Cory had been doing so much better they pulled his catheter, the IV in his right arm, and the ART line in his left arm. They had an oxygen mask on him, but that was replaced with nose prongs so he would be more comfortable. So the only thing left poking my poor little guy is the central line in his groin. This is where he gets all his antibiotics. They hope to pull that out in a day or two and replace it with a PIC line.
Yesterday afternoon finally rolled around and we were moved up to the ward. It was a little (a lot) frustrating having to get used to the new staff, the new nurses, and the new doctors. The day was a little less stressful as we had a couple of visitors. Donna, Lee, and Molly all came for a visit. I think it did Cory a lot of good to see his sister. I don’t think Molly really knew what to make of her little brother in that strange bed with his monitors. But she sang to him and shared toys with him. She thinks it will be great when we finally get him back home! Cory also got a visit from Aunty Allison and Aunty Sonia. They all agreed that it was good to see Cory looking so much better.
The last time Cory was on the ward, either Lee or I had to stay with him all the time. It is just safer to stay with your child since the wards are a busier place than the PICU. But this time Cory is in a monitored bed. That means that there is a nurse outside his door dedicated to looking after him and just one other patient. That also means that Lee and I don’t have to spend the nights trying to sleep on the fold out bed (if you can actually call it a bed) that they provide in the rooms. We know that since Cory is monitored 24/7 that it is safe to leave him in his nurse’s capable hands. And we are so thankful for that because it is sooooo stressful having Cory back in the hospital. At least we both get to come home to our own bed and try to get a good night’s rest.
Today was a very stressful day for me. I’m not really sure why, but it was. Although I know Cory is well taken care of, it is still really hard to leave the safety and the comfort level that we had known in the PICU. But I guess as with all transitions, I will get used to these new surroundings and feel just as comfortable as I was in PICU. The doctors and nurses are great, so tomorrow should be a better day. One good thing that happened today was that I learned that Cory is currently taking three different antibiotics. Two of those should be finished their dose in the next five or six days. The other one will continue for about six weeks. But the good news is that Cory may get to come home if he is stable after the first two antibiotics are finished. Yay! That is such good news because we thought we were going to be stuck in the hospital until near the end of October. We just have to find a way to get Cory’s antibiotics administered at home. The doctors are looking into that for us now, so hopefully everything will work out and Cory will be home sooner than we thought.
Cory was having a bit of a rough day today, but the team of doctors and nurses and pharmacists, etc. finally got his orders together and he now has an effective weaning plan for his pain medications. Cory is on Morphine and will be weaned off of it over the weekend. He still seems to be in a bit of discomfort, and he was a quite agitated earlier today. But since the new weaning schedule was started he seems to be doing better. Hopefully his night tonight will be more comfortable than last night.
Lee just called from the hospital to report that Cory has been sleeping soundly and peacefully for most of the time that Lee’s been there. That makes me feel quite certain that the new weaning regime is working properly and Cory will get the rest he so desperately needs.
For as far back as I can remember my favourite colour has always been green. But today I got a new favourite colour. Brown. When Cory opened up those big brown eyes of his and looked at me and stared at me and loved me back, I knew that everything was going to be all right. I felt such overwhelming joy and hope and love and relief that I couldn’t help but cry. And smile. I
smiled a lot! And even though Cory had a bit of a rough day I managed to get a smile and a small laugh out of him. That really made my day.
I know now that my little fighter will make it through this ordeal just as well as he’s made it through all the others he’s been through in his short life. He is the toughest little kid I know.
Friday, September 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment