Monday, December 8, 2008

The first week

Well, we made it to Edmonton... but just barely!
Our adventure started off in the Winnipeg Airport. After Mom nearly got arrested and body searched for having too much contraband in her carry-on (terrible things like shampoo, conditioner, hairspray... real nasty stuff) we were told to wait at gate M for our flight. After waiting for 20 minutes with a few other travellers we began to wonder where our plane was. We thought it a little odd that our flight would be leaving in 15 mintues and the plane wasn't even there yet, even if the flight was delayed. Lee went to check how delayed the flight was when he discovered that severeal of the wonderful airport staff had sent us to the wrong gate. So we gathered up our things (two carry-ons, one baby, a stroller, car seat, diaper bag, and laptop) and made a mad dash to find gate F. I don't know if you've ever made a mad dash while you're 8 months pregnant... but it is NOT fun. I looked more like a penguin waddling along trying to catch up to everyone else. As we were running across the airport, we heard the final boarding call annoucement for our flight. We made it to the gate just in the nick of time!

I'm sure you can imagine the looks of dread on everyone's face when they saw a pregnant lady, carrying a baby, two carry-ons, and dragging her mother down the aisle of the plane looking for our seats. I noticed the relief in each person's face as I passed their row... delighted that we would not be trying to squeeze in next to them.

We finally made it to our seats and sat next to woman who listened to music all the way to Edmonton. Molly was a real delight on the flight. She didn't even make a tiny fuss. What a trooper! She was an absolute angel all the way to our hotel in Edmonton. That's my girl!

Once we got to the hotel, things seemed to go downhill. The crib they were supposed to have ready for Molly had not been sent up. The pizza we ordered for supper was horrible, cold, dry, and expensive. And... to top everything off... the remote control for the TV didn't work. Needless to say, I cried.

Day two was better. It turns out the lady we sat beside on the plane is staying at the hotel with her husband. They also have a "heart baby" in the hospital. The lady was kind enough to tell me her name and room number. I gave them a call, and they showed Mom and I around the hospital and gave us a bit of a head's up on what to expect after Junior is born. The husband offered to take us to Safeway the next day for grogeries. And, since the crib the hotel sent up looked like it was from the 1930's, they lent us their playpen/crib for Molly to sleep in until Lee gets here with ours. Needless to say... they quickly became my new best friends in Edmonton!

On day three we met Michelle. A friend of mine in Winnipeg told Michelle (who lives in Edmonton) that I was coming, and she and her friend Des had a bunch of toys and books for Molly waiting for us when we checked into the hotel. Michelle (also my new best friend in Edmonton) took us to Wal-Mart! Mom and I did a mega-shop since we had nothing here and had to stock up the room with such things as diapers, formula, food, etc. Michelle has really been good to us since we've been here. Thank you so much Erin for hooking us up!!

Molly has been a little out of sorts since we've been here. She misses her Daddy and her dog and all her toys. All in all, she's still an angel! But she can't wait for Daddy to get here to have a cuddle with her.

I had a couple of appointments on Thursday. I met the neonatologist and the pediatric cardiologist at the Women's Hospital where I'll be delivering the baby. They both did their ultrasounds and fetal echo and decided to send me for even MORE appointments. On Friday I spent a long afternoon at the Children's Hospital for our video team meeting with all the doctors and social workers from Winnipeg and Edmonton. Lee sat in on the Winnipeg end of the video. Turns out all the doctors are on the same page about Junior's condition, so I guess I should relax, knowing I'm in good hands. After the conference video call, the social worker took me around and showed me where Junior will be spending his time in the NICU and PICU. On Saturday I spent the afternoon back at the Women's Hospital for another test. The doctors are saying that they may induce me during the last week of December. I'm trying to will Junior to make an appearance sooner than that but so far, I don't think it's working.

Mom and I have been able to get some shopping in. We haven't been to West Edmonton Mall yet, but we have been to a couple of other malls. On Wednesday we ventured out on the bus and headed south to one mall to get more supplies. Then on Sunday we took a cab north to another mall because we were bored and had been house-bound for a couple of days since it's been so cold here. I heard on the news that it was -51 with the wind chill the other night.

So we've made it through week one. We've decorated the hotel room a little to make it look some-what Christmassy. Thanks to everyone for all the prayers and phone calls and emails and Skype-ing. I have more appointments coming up this week, so I'll keep you all posted on how everything is coming along.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Glad things with Michelle have worked out....I'm so happy you have set up a blog! Its nice to hear what is going on for you and how things are going...thinking of you lots!

Erin

joyce said...

thank you so much for the link to your blog. I am honoured to hear how things are going with baby and Molly.

God give you peace...

Sophy said...

Hello Kris, Pat and Molly,
We are very glad that you are settling down .. It will get easier, I am sure.
The blog is a great idea and we will be checking it every now and then to get an update on you.

Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

Sophy and Amazis

Lori Hawkins said...

Hi Kris! Thanks for sharing your blog address, Olivia and I will check often. I can just imagine you waddling through the airport! That crib looks terrifying, I'm glad you were able to arrange another one for Molly to sleep in. Sounds like you're having quite the adventures so far. We miss you! :)

Garth said...

Hey Kris, great idea with the blog. What a great way for friends and family to show their support for you and the family.
Our hearts are definately with you,
Love Garth & Meera

Lori Hawkins said...

P.S. you look great! :)

Daniel said...

Hi Kris-Shauna here (I am using Dan's blogger account so I can p;\ost this). I am loving your blog-a-riffic-blog! I remember specifically being in a restaurant waddling around (on my way to the bathroom of course) and some teenage boy was in my path..he took one look at me, said, Uh-Oh, and quickly swirved to avoid me as if I was a Mac truck! I felt like grabbing him and shaking him and yelling that it wasn't too long ago that I was a 16 year old hottie! Luckily I was able to contain my hormonal rage. anyhow...
We had a friend of mine over, she is a special pediatric nurse in the PICU at HSC...I told her about you some time ago. She has been praying for your JR. When I told her you had been shipped off to Edmonton, she was so happy to hear that...She said Edmonton or Montreal are the top places in this country, you are in excellent hands! Now you can feel an extra bit more confident, because Kim says so!!! Perhaps you will meet her if you come back to HSC with little Jr.
IF you don't mind, I would love to forward your blog to my circle of friends, we have been praying for you and it would be fun for them to put faces to the names...
Little Molly is the sweetest baby on the earth! How is she enjoying hotel life? You realize she will be turned off becoming a country music star now that she has had some time on the road! You just wait till your little ones are listening to qx104 with you, girlie, try to explain some of Toby Kieth's songs to em!
Well I hope you are enjoying my babelling!
We are doing our Children's Christmas concert tomorrow at our church, I will be breathing a huge sigh of relief once that is over! I am sure the kids will all do a great job, but my #3 usually manages to do wierd things, especially in public for some reason. Apparently I have not been humbled enough yet. One year, we did a concert at an old folks home..Shae, in her usual super loud yelling voice, stood on the stage, hollered and pointed, "look Mom, that one over there is dead!" It does take a lot to embarass me, but I have to tell ya, that did it! What a kid!
Let us know if your hubby is able to spend Christmas with you...
Hang tough chickie, I know you will do just awesome!
love Shauna