Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Patience is a virtue???

Whoever said that "patience is a virtue" has likely never been stuck in Edmonton without transportation.

We've been here 2 ½ weeks now and I've been busy going to what seem like endless appointments... where at the end of every appointment the doctors say "Come back next week!" I guess that means that everything is coming along as it should and that the baby is growing strong like he should. Last week I met the obstetrician. She was very nice, but didn’t have too much to tell me that I didn’t already know. The next day I had another ultrasound appointment. Everything checked out fine there too. I didn’t get to see the neonatologist that I had met the previous week at my ultrasound, as it was her day off. No problem. The doctor I saw last week seemed competent, so I didn’t mind too much.

I had another ultrasound appointment today. Everything is still humming along and Junior is growing and apparently having a jolly old time in my tummy. My regular neonatologist was not available again this week, so I saw yet another new doctor. I gotta tell ya... I'm getting a little frustrated. Those of you who know me well (even those of you who only kind of know me) know that patience has never been one of my strongest qualities. I’m getting a little tired of meeting new neonatologists every week. Today I was quizzing the doctor off to see how much he actually knew about my baby. He just smiled and said “Come back next week!” I nearly lost it! No one seems to be telling me what I want to hear... which is “We will be inducing you early next week.” Instead of grabbing this doctor by the collar and “encouraging” him to tell me what I wanted to hear, I instead smiled sweetly and said “OK. See you next week.” Did I mention that he also wants me to go for yet another test between now and next week “just to keep on top of things”? Oh well… what else have I got to do while I’m here!

Tomorrow I go back to the obstetrician, whom I’m guessing will want to see me next week as well. Be sure to check back to see if I’m right!

Other than appointments, Mom and Molly and I have been doing a little shopping. It gets pretty boring here so we jump in a cab, or on a bus, or on the train and see where we end up. One of our adventures took us to City Centre Mall. Can’t say that I’m going to be heading back there in a hurry. The mall has four levels to it, which makes it difficult to get around with a stroller and a person who only walks at a snails pace. The mall is also very open aired… you can look down from the fourth level right down to the basement level. (Kind of like Polo Park, but with glass railings and more levels.) We picked up a few items here and there, and then decided that it was time to go home. We were on the third level and had to get back down to the main level. We found an elevator and thought we would take it down to the main floor. Simple, right? Wrong! Turns out that this glass elevator was suspended in the middle of nowhere. You had to walk this 30 foot gang-plank to get to the elevator. I got ½ way across it when my vertigo decided to kick in. NOT FUN! I thought I was going to pass out. I closed my eyes as tight as I could and told my Mom that she had to “get me off this thing right now!” She had no idea what was going on, but did manage to back me off the gang-plank. She didn’t stop backing me up until I was safely on solid ground again, surrounded by shops and no glass railings anywhere nearby. Once I regained my composure, I decided that I should try to get to the elevator again. After all… there was no way I could fall off the edge of the gang-plank as it was surrounded by railings (albeit glass railings that one could see straight down to the basement through!) Attempt #2 turned out no better than the first one… only now I had spectators wondering why this crazy pregnant lady kept only going ½ way to the elevator before squeezing her eyes tightly shut and slowly backing off the gang-plank. By now I was sweating. I had to get down to the main level, but I couldn’t get on the damn elevator. What was I supposed to do?! Mom and I formed a quick plan. She was going to go press the elevator button while I waited with Molly and the stroller a very safe distance back. When the elevator door opened, I was supposed to shut my eyes and make a dash for the elevator… guided by my Mother’s voice. Now… I didn’t say it was a good plan. It didn’t work the way it was supposed to. I did, however, manage to back off the gang-plank all by myself this time, and at quite a brisk pace I might add. By now I’m sure all the spectators were ready to call the nice people who bring you the nice white coats and put you in a nice padded room. I thought I’d be spending the rest of my stay in Edmonton on the third floor of that mall. Then I noticed the escalators. A new plan was quickly formed and Mom took Molly and the stroller down to the main level. I took the escalator. But even that was not an easy task with my vertigo on high alert. I’m not sure who decided that glass makes good railing and that open air malls are a good idea. By the time I white knuckled it down the glass escalator (with my eyes ½ shut) I was ready for the nice people with the padded room to come and take me away. 45 minutes later, once we were safely back in our hotel room, I vowed I was never leaving it again! That lasted about one day until we got bored again and headed out for another shopping adventure. This time I made sure it was a single level mall with no elevators!

Last Tuesday, Molly and I were invited to a playgroup here in Edmonton where we met several nice Moms and babies. It sure is good to meet people and make new friends, considering we may be out here for awhile.

The weekend was very cold here. We didn’t do too much. But I did get a very excellent surprise when Lee (my husband) showed up a day earlier than expected! It was soooo good to see him! Plus he brought a vehicle with him! Woo hoo! No more busses, cabs, and trains! Molly was especially happy to see her Daddy. For the last few days, all she wants to do is hang out with Daddy. She’s always looking around for him and reaching out for him when she sees him. Plus, when she gets up in the middle of the night, she prefers that Daddy take care of her. Which makes me very, very happy!

So now Mom and Molly and Lee and I are all here together. One big happy family in a tiny little apartment… all patiently waiting for Junior to make his appearance.

I’ll try to get better and post more often. Right now though, there’s not too much to report. Once Junior arrives I’ll have a lot more to update everyone on. So stay tuned, and thanks again for all of your support and love and prayers!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

4 comments:

Lori Hawkins said...

Kristine, you make me laugh! I'm glad you made it safely off the third floor of the mall. I hope Junior decides to make his appearance soon! :)

Sandra said...

Kristine here's to hoping that you don't get stranded in anymore malls! Let's hope junior decides it would be nice to come out and see the world soon. Merry Christmas!

Erin said...

thinking of you!! Hope everything is going well..... can't wait to hear more of your mall adventures!! ha ha....remind me if I need a little fun in my life to bring you to a glass bridge...hee..sorry.
Can't wait for Junior to make an appearance soon!
Annabella says to say hi to Molly

Erin

Connie said...

Hello there from Belmont...

Glad to hear things are going OK and that you have a functioning TV...Hope it's a 46"plasma with surround sound..

Can't wait to meet Jr.
ConnieM