Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cory's Big Day

Hi! Sorry I haven't written for a couple of days. To be honest... I think the stress of everything finally hit me and shut me down for a day and a half. The day before yesterday all I did was sleep. And I didn't do too much yesterday but stick around the apartment. But I think it was good for me since I feel so much better today.

Cory has been moved out of the PICU and back into the NICU. Last night when I saw him he looked like he was in pain. I don't know for sure if he was or not... but it tore my heart apart. I couldn't stop the tears from flowing down my cheeks. I wanted to help him and comfort him so badly, but there was nothing I could do. The nurses assured me that he was fine, but he just had this look on his face that seemed to be crying out for his Mommy to make everything better. I really hate the feeling of utter helplessness. There is no worse feeling than not being able to make your child feel better and not being able to comfort them.

This morning, however, Cory looked much better. He looked much more relaxed and rested. His colour was better and his face looked de-stressed. He was awake and he didn't look so drugged up on his Morphine. His eyes seemed to follow us like he couldn't get enough of us. Lee & I were there when the doctors did their rounds and we were so happy to hear what they had planned for him for the day.

The first big step for the day was that Cory was extubated. The respiratory therapists came and took out his breathing tube. I think Cory was so relieved to have that thing out of his nose! He is now breathing on his own. When the respiratory testing came back the results indicated that Cory seems to be doing better without the ventilator than he was doing on it!

Secondly... the nurse practitioner came and took the IV out of Cory's neck. They were no longer giving him any medication through it, so there was no need for it to be there. I was so happy to see that one go. I didn't think that one looked too comfortable.

The third step was taking out his catheter. Again... I think Cory was happy to have that one gone! But now we have to do more diaper changes. Not a bad trade off if you ask me!

This morning the nurses also capped off his pacemaker wires. The wires are still in his chest, but they are no longer hooked up to the pacemaker. So basically Cory is now breathing own his own and making his heart beat on his own. He's such a little trooper!

They also decided to start feeding Cory today. He was getting fed through and IV, but now he is getting the same kind of formula as any other newborn. Granted... he is getting it through a small tube in his nose that goes straight to his intestines... but at least he is finally getting fed!

The doctors were also thinking of taking out his chest tube today, but as of this afternoon they decided to postpone it until tomorrow morning. That will be a big relief when that tube is out because that one is likely causing Cory some discomfort. Shortly after his chest tube is removed I will FINALLY get to hold him again. I was really hoping it would come out today, but I guess it's better to wait one more day to make sure there is no more fluid in his chest that needs to be drained. Tomorrow will be here before I know it!

Grandma and Molly went to visit Cory today too. I still don't think Molly knows that the little guy will eventually be coming home with us, but I'm sure once we all get home she'll be more than thrilled to have her little brother there with us! Lee still hasn't told her that she's going to have to share her pony with Cory though. Not too sure how she's going to like that!

So that was Cory's big day! Lots of good things happened to our Little Superstar! He is doing quite well and we are so excited and proud of him.

I want to thank everyone again for all your thoughts, prayers, and well-wishes. And thank you so much for all your comments and emails and phone calls. I do apologize if I haven't replied to emails, but it has been such a busy busy week and a half since Cory was born. Thank you for taking the time to check our blog and look for updates. Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to write about our homecoming! We miss everyone back in Winnipeg and can hardly wait to get back home!

5 comments:

Marla said...

Congratulations on your great day! Enjoy every single moment of holding Cory tomorrow. That's a picture I'd love to see. Glad he is doing well. Can't wait to meet him (and Molly too, actually) one day.

Big hugs,
marla

The Sling Sisters said...

Hi Kristine, we're so glad to hear that Cory is doing so well. I'm excited for you to get to hold him again! We missed you at playgroup on Tuesday, can't wait to have you back.

Lori :)

Pat /Richard said...

Great news regarding Cory and the removal of the tubes. He is certainly making rapid progress. Hope you are able to hold your little trooper today. Give him a kiss for us!

Pat & Richard

Jill said...

Well it sure sounds like yesterday was a good day. So happy to hear that Cory is headed in the right direction with the removal of the breathing tube and all. I am guessing that you will be seeing improvements everyday from this point forward. Hopefully today you were able to hold and cuddle him again. Take care.

Florena said...

Hey Lee and Chris i hope you love your new family and i hope we can come see you and your family and say hi from the richardson's that would be great even though Cory and molly don't know us we are going to come see them soon yahoo it going to be a crazy time in your house for a while but it's ok it worth it.
Love, Alysia, Florena, Trevor Richardson and family and mister!!
WE MISS YOU ! !