This morning while Lee was sleeping in I decided to go over to the hospital early to visit Cory. When I arrived, the nurses updated me on Cory's progress over night. He had done really well and was very stable. They said they had to make a couple of minor adjustments to his monitors over night... but nothing serious. I had fully expected to see Cory swollen this morning when I arrived, but was pleasantly surprised to see that he still looked really good, really pink, and really un-swollen. The nurses told me he could still swell later in the day, but as of 7:00 Saturday evening he still has not swollen. That's my boy!
I was also very surprised this morning when Cory opened his eyes and looked at me! I was so shocked! I had assumed that he was still in a state of paralysis (due to the breathing tube), but I was wrong! Apparently after he came out of surgery he was never paralyzed, only heavily sedated from surgery. I can't tell you how much joy and pride and overwhelming relief I felt. I finally got to see what colour his eyes are! I immediately called Lee and told him he had to come to the hospital. He rushed right over and I could see the relief and joy wash over him too. The nurses told us that they actually had to sedate Cory a little more because he was really waking up alot. That's my boy!
I stayed at the hospital for a couple of hours this morning just watching Cory. I loved to see him move just a little and open his eyes and look around. Granted... he's still on medication that's making him a little dopey, but what a different feeling it is watching him moving instead of just laying there. And when I hold his hand he gives me just the tiniest squeeze to let me know he loves me. That's my boy!
The doctors told Lee & I this morning that since Cory is doing so well they are going to close up his chest on Sunday morning (January 11th). Then they can slowly start weaning him off his ventilator and his medications. That's my boy!
So I think I'm going to keep this short for today. I'm exhausted and really need to get some rest. But first I'll go back to the hospital to see my boy.
I will try to post some pictures of Cory in the PICU in my next update.
Take care!
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Great news Kris. Of course he's your boy and lets you know by squeezing your finger. How exciting! He knows who his mom is and is taking a good look at who's going to be guiding him for the next several decades! Love to you all in Room 708. Pat & Richard
Wow, I'm so excited for you! What a great moment that must have been. I know it will be awhile still, but I'm so excited to meet him. I think Olivia will really like him :)
It must be a wonderful relief to see him moving around a little, he is such a trooper!
Get well soon Cory, we want to meet you!
Post a Comment